Friday, November 4, 2011

Peach Crumble Bars

It has taken me a long time to get this up here, but here they are, finally. 
The other week for Cooking Club, the theme was fruit. I had a few frozen bags of peaches hiding in the back of my freezer just waiting to be used, so I found a recipe for Peach Crumble Bars


The recipe starts with the crumble, which has a satisfying buttery flavor. Once you grease your pan, you have to press about half of the dough into the bottom to create a flat base layer. 


I used frozen peaches, which worked just fine, though the recipe calls for fresh cut peaches. I love the combination of nutmeg with peaches in this recipe. The peaches go on top of the base. 


Crumble the remaining half of the dough on top of the peaches.

                       
I was expecting chunks of peaches in the final product, but during the baking process, they lost their shape and became softer. It wasn't bad, but I wish they had the texture of the peaches. 


The original recipe uses a 9x13 inch pan, but I only had an 8x8.  To accommodate the size difference, I cut the recipe in half, which worked out perfectly. While this was  not my favorite outcome, I want to play with different fruits in the future and see if I can perfect the recipe. 

2 comments:

  1. I have a lot of very sweet apples right now, I'm going try this with them, I bet they'd keep their shape better too, I like the chunks of fruit as well.
    You're such a great cook. But I think I gain weight just reading here! One needs a good soccer game to work it all off. Cook on!

    deirdre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've tasted it with apples and I like it a lot that way. And yes, the apples do keep their shape. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete