Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day! Conversation Heart Cake Pops

Has anyone else noticed the recent trend in cake pops? It seems as if they are beginning to pop up (pun intended haha) everywhere I turn. Cake pops are very convenient, and are an ideal portion size for a sweet treat. While they have a reputation of being very complicated and hard to master, you shouldn't worry. Even the beginner chef can master this recipe by breaking the whole process into small steps. Dipping is the hardest part. The candy melt mixture may not be smooth when you first take it out of the microwave, but when you stir the coating, the heat from the chips will melt the other chunks, and you will avoid burning your candy melts. 














Things You’ll Need
Mixing bowls
Heart-shaped candy mold
Lollipop sticks

Red Velvet Cake Pops 
1 sheet red velvet cake, baked (1 box)
About 1 cup cream cheese frosting
Candy Melts (I used pink, orange, and purple)
Writing Icing (I used red)

Directions:
Prepare cake mix according to the package instructions. Allow cake to cool completely.
Once cooled, crumble the cake into a large mixing bowl. Add about 1 cup cream cheese frosting and mix thoroughly.

Press cake and frosting mixture into the heart-shaped mold and chill in the freezer for about one hour. Pop the heart shapes out of the mold onto a cookie sheet. Insert lollipop sticks into hearts, and place in freezer for about another 30 minutes.

Microwave candy melts for one minute. Once done, stir until all the chips have melted so that the candy coating is smooth.

Dip the cake pop into the melted candy coating. Once the cake pop is completely covered, slowly turn the cake pop in the melted candy to avoid uneven drips on the surface of the cake pop. Put cake pop in the freezer for about a minute to allow coating to harden.

When the coating has hardened, use the writing icing to write cute “conversation heart” messages on the front of the heart (Too Cute, Hug Me, Love You). Allow icing to harden.


For candy melts, heart shaped pan, and lollipop sticks, check out the nearest Michael’s store, or a cake supply store.


12 comments:

  1. Hi! These look great! I made cake pops with my kindergarten class last year but they did not look as delicious as these.

    http://followingyourbliss.blogspot.com/search?q=cake+pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see cellophane bags and ka-ching!

    I haven't gotten around to making cake pops yet, but you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness!(Pun intended there, also.) You are already such an artist at your age! I'm so glad I know you, even if it's just through your mama's blog, even if it's just words on a screen. Some people shine to brightly that that's enough. You and your mama being two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I've seen cake pops before but you're right, I thought they were really difficult. This seems do-able, even for me. I'm totally going to try this. Thanks :)

    I love the pic of the cake pops, it looks like they are wandering through the countryside.

    FYI for anyone else who wants to give cake pops a shot: If you sign up for Michael's emails they'll send 30% off coupons fairly frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen them everywhere too. I thought they would be difficult but may I should try them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will share this recipe with my daughter who bakes cakes to relax. A portion this size would be so much better for my diet and she could pass them out to the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog! Your cake pops are adorable. My daughter introduced me to cake pops, and since they were selling for $3 each we googled the recipe and make dozens of them for the price of one. Messy, but fun and easy. The not easy part is making them look cute and trying not to get sick from eating too many!

    I have a friend who started a cake pop business - I hope her customers don't find out how easy they are to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. You have inspired me to try making some of these for my own daughters.(I have four, the youngest being your age!) I made some chocolate-dipped oreo cookies recently and although the dipping part was a little bit challenging, they came out so good. Maybe I could make some chocolate-dipped oreo cookie pops! If I use the double stuffed, there should be enough room to support a stick in the center. See, you've got me thinking now:)

    I know that waiting to find out what the next stage of your journey will be is unnerving and a little bit scary, but the very right fit will find its way to you and you will soar! I love hearing your mom's stories and seeing the photos that she shares of you and your family. Your radiance shines from the inside and that is such a rare and precious quality. I KNOW that your future will be filled with marvelous adventures. You will be an absolute asset to any college that is lucky enough to have you!

    Thanks for posting this awesome recipe! I will let you know how mine turn out:)

    Hugs,
    Momma Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This looks awesome. It's amazing to see someone so young doing such amazing things. Great job--and delicious appearing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look awesome! I love how clear your explanations are and how well you communicate. Make me want to get supplies to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha who?
    Your New Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much to everyone who has commented! Glad to see I was able to inspire at least a few people, and your kind and thoughtful words mean more to me than you may know.

    ReplyDelete